Monday, February 9, 2009

Giving Winter Snap Peas a Try


Today is a monumental day. I am beginning the blog that has been in the back of my mind for some time now. I have no idea how this is going to go, but I am just jumping in with my arms over my head.

We've had some 50 degree days in Iowa City lately. It's just a teaser...March, in my opinion, is the worst month of the year. It's bleak and colorless and soggy. I've decided that the best way to prep my black thumbs for spring was to practice now with indoor pots and seeds. My new friend Dawn (the Kitty Cat Bandit) has inspired me to grow snap peas, which allegedly do well in winter (indoors, of course). I have gotten my new green pot, some Miracle-Gro soil and some organic Snap pea seeds. They basically look like dehydrated peas.

I am going to try to make them sprout before I snuggle them into some soil. I've read that sprouting them first can increase your germination rate by 70%. Dump em in the soil and you're going to see only 15% of them make it. So what did I do?

Easy. I got a saucer, lined it with a wet paper towel, laid the seeds on the towel and tightly cover it with clear plastic wrap. I want to watch the progress. I hear they sprout within a day or two. Wish me luck with these little fellas. I love to crunch into fresh, home-grown pea pods.




Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger dawn said...

Here's to hoping that BOTH our kitchens will be overflowing with snap peas come spring/summer!

February 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home